Originating from the Middle East and North Africa, this vegetarian recipe is an easy to make dish that is guaranteed to impress.
The sauce can be frozen for up to one month – just stop the cooking process before adding the eggs in.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely sliced
- Handful of fresh coriander, stalks and leaves separately chopped
- 800g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- Heat the oil in a saute pan with a lid and soften the onions, chilli, garlic and coriander stalks for around 5 minutes until they are soft. Stir in the tomatoes, along with the sugar, and simmer for around 10 minutes until you have a thick sauce.
- Make 4 dips in the sauce using the back of a spoon, and then crack an egg into each one. Place the lid on the pan, and lower the heat. Allow to cook for 6-8 minutes until the eggs are done. Scatter the coriander leaves over the top and serve.
Lead image: Lisovskaya via Getty images.