Bring a little Jamaican flavour to your dining experience with this jerk chicken, which crisps up beautifully on the outside whilst the meat remains juicy and succulent.
- 1 small onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp five spice
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 60ml soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1.5kg chicken drumsticks, skin on
- Begin by making the jerk marinade. Combine all ingredients (except for the chicken) in a food processor and blitz everything together until you have a fine, smooth puree. The texture will be slightly gritty – this is normal.
- Place the chicken in a freezer bag and pour the marinade in. Squeeze the air out and securely fasten the bag, then massage the chicken and marinade together until everything is well coated.
- Pop the chicken in a bowl (still inside its bag) to prevent any leakages, and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- When it’s time to start grilling, remove the chicken from the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature. Place the chicken skin-side down on a smoking hot grill and cook, turning occasionally, until the skin is browned and crisp (usually around 10 minutes).
- Ensure the chicken is thoroughly cooked before serving.
Lead image: rez-art via Getty images.