Is there anything better than cosying up on a chilly autumn evening and tucking into a delicious shepherd’s pie? No, we don’t think so either!
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 500g lamb mince
- 150g frozen peas
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 500ml beef stock
- 900g potato, cut into chunks
- 85g butter
- 3 tbsp milk
- Take a saucepan and heat the oil, then throw in the chopped onions, carrots and peas and cook for a few minutes until soft.
- Crumble in the lamb mince and brown off, then add in the Worcestershire sauce and fry for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the beef stock, bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for 40 minutes (removing the lid at the 20 minute mark).
- Meanwhile, heat your oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / Gas Mark 4. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add a generous pinch of salt, then pop in the potatoes and boil for 10-15 minutes until tender.
- Drain, and mash together with the butter and milk.
- Put the mince mixture into an oven proof dish and top with the mash. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the potato is starting to catch some colour and the mince is bubbling through the edges.
Lead image: Anna_Shepulova via Getty images.