This delicious vegetarian burger is super simple to make, and combines coriander, cumin and lemon zest for a real flavour punch.
- 400g chickpeas
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp cumin
- Small bunch of coriander, chopped
- 1 egg
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 1 red onion, 1/2 sliced & 1/2 diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 wholemeal buns
- 1 tomato, sliced
- A few rocket leaves
- Begin by whizzing together the chickpeas, lemon zest, lemon juice, cumin, half of the coriander, the egg and some seasoning in a food processor. Scrape out into a bowl and mix together with the 80g of the breadcrumbs and the diced half of the onion.
- Form four burgers using your hands, then gently press into the remaining breadcrumbs on both sides. Pop them on a plate, cover with clingfilm and refrigerate for at least ten minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan until hot. Fry the burgers for around 4 minutes on each side over a medium heat.
- Slice each bun in half, and fill with a slice of tomato then top with the burger. Adorn the burger with the sliced red onion and rocket leaves
- and dollop on your choice of sauce and the remaining coriander.
Lead image: vaaseenaa via Getty images.