Invented in the 1880s, this classic American cocktail was originally made for a party being thrown by Winston Churchill’s mother, Lady Randolph Churchill, at the Manhattan Club in New York City.
Ingredients (per cocktail)
- 50ml bourbon
- 25ml rosso vermouth
- 5ml syrup from a jar of maraschino cherries
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 maraschino cherry, to garnish
- A twist of pared lemon, to garnish
- Pour all of the ingredients, aside from the garnish, into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Stir with a long-handled spoon then strain into a cocktail glass.
- Garnish and serve.
Lead image: bhofack2 via Getty Images.